10 Awesome Words You Should know
1. Petrichor – You know that smell after the first rains (especially after a long day summer)? That smell is called petrichor. Petri means relating to rocks and chor means the blood of the Gods.
2. Schadenfreude – It’s the pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others. No matter how pure-hearted you are you know you have had the feeling of schadenfreude.
3. Dysania – Dysania is state of having a hard time waking up and getting out of bed in the morning. So the feeling you have every single morning.
4. Numinous – An adjective which means filled with or characterized by a sense of a supernatural presence. Anything you think is possessed or even blessed by God is numinous.
5. Palindrome – A palindrome is a word, phrase, number, or other sequence of characters which reads the same backward or forward. Like Lion oil or the word poop. Though it isn’t an official word Aibohphobia is the fear of palindromes which is itself a palindrome.
6. Semordnilap – Semordnilaps (also called Heteropalindromes or Anadromes) are words which, when reversed, are still valid words but not the same as the original word. Examples you ask?
Live – Evil
Desserts – stressed
Palindromes – Semordnilap
7. Mamihlapinatapai – This word has actually won a world record for “most succinct word”. It is also one of the hardest words to translate. It allegedly refers to “a look shared by two people, each wishing that the other will offer something that they both desire but are unwilling to suggest or offer themselves.” I guess an example will be two kids who have a crush on each other and want to be in a relationship but doesn’t know the other person likes him/her.
8. Aglet – I learned this word from a fantastic show called Phineas and Ferb(excellent cartoon) They had a song about it. Aglet refers to that plastic thing at the end of your shoe lace.
9. Barm – It’s the foam or froth you see on beer or wine. Next time someone says “Don’t give me any froth,” while he pours you a cold one tell him what it’s really called.
10. Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia – The fear of long words. Yeah, I know. English is a cruel language.