21 Writing Prompts
Having trouble setting scenes in your novel??
Here are 21 writing prompts for creating depth in your prose.
- Where does the scene take place?
- What do the immediate surroundings look like?
- What time of day it is?
- Can you intensify the scene with meaningful similes, metaphor or personification?
- How does the point-of-view character feel emotionally?
- What do they feel physically?
- What do the characters hear?
- What do those sounds remind them of?
- What do their voices sound like?
- What do the character’s facial expressions look like?
- What are they physically doing at this moment?
- What are the characters saying or not saying?
- What are they remembering?
- What can they smell?
- What do those smells remind them of?
- Can your character taste anything?
- What is the conflict in the scene?
- How does the scene’s conflict reflect the overall conflict of the story?
- What do your character want at the moment?
- Are there any opportunities to foreshadow future events in the scene?
- How do your overall themes connect to this scene?